Monday, September 9, 2013

"I Choose Christ."

I'm going to be honest, here. I know nothing about interpreting art. Thankfully, one of the pieces I resonated with the most had a caption!

The photo, Untitled (Sylvia's Baptism), is a pencil sketch of what looks like a pastor-- a man of course-- who is preparing to baptize the young girl kneeling in front of him that we can assume is Sylvia. Looking on is a motherly figure. All are dressed in plain clothes with the motherly figure wearing a head covering. Below the picture, the caption reads:

"So in baptism the said: 'Do you
choose Christ and / (or) the church?"
And she said: "I choose Christ.
(I can't handle the church.)"

I have found that in the Anabaptist tradition, at least at the church that I grew up in, there is still pressure to be baptized at a fairly early age. I would know, I was baptized when I was only 13. At that age, I had no idea what I would be thinking about my decision to be baptized so young, but the last two lines of the caption for this piece seems to sum up my feelings toward the church.**

Throughout her works, Bubalo expressed a number of themes that resonated well with me. I greatly admire those who are able to challenge their belief system in a way that provides also enriches and encourages the asking of questions.




La Paloma. Another favorite.









5 comments:

  1. I like how you call out the idea that even though Anabaptist tradition encourages people to get baptized only when they can make the conscious decision to give their lives to the Lord, there is still some pressure to do it early. From my experience, it is never verbal. No one says "It's about time for you to get baptized," but people think it. They tell it to others. They wonder why you aren't baptized yet and what that means about your family. Mennonites are an amazing group of people, but sometimes they can be a bit nosy.
    I was actually never baptized into the Mennonite church myself. I want to be, and have wanted to be. But i just never did. Honestly, people tend to accept me not being baptized more than they accept others because I came in from the outside. I am a new Mennonite. It is no surprise I didn't get baptized, but it is a surprise when a son or daughter of a long-time Mennonite family doesn't choose baptism. It's a strange world, the world of Mennonites. But a good one. And a loving one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really resonated with your last paragraph, Dominique! I wish I had known at a younger age that questioning your faith and your faith community is an important part of being an active member of it. I think Bubalo's work is exemplary of that belief, that an constantly examined community is a healthy community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that about Bubalo too. I'm impressed by her ability to capture the beauty of faith and critique it at the same time.

    I like the way Sylvia's baptism shows a focus on Christ instead of the church, a core value of the Mennonite faith. When I first saw the painting I was under the impression she was choosing Christ over the Mennonite church, which is somewhat ironic (choosing a Mennonite belief over the Mennonite church).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said, Dominique. I agree that there is pressure to get baptized at a young age (I was one of the only members of my youth group who was not baptized). I especially resonate with what you said at the end about encouraging the asking of questions. I agree that this is important and allows for growth, and this is something I'd like to experience more of in Mennonite churches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words and images work well in Bubalo's art, don't they? I'm referring to the caption that helped you enter this piece of art, Dominique. Her childhood statement--"I choose Christ"--resets the priorities in Baptism. We should do it first of all because of a deep commitment to Christ, rather than out of conformity to tradition. Yet Sylvia did not reject the tradition. Rather, she found room in it for her questing spirit. I'm delighted to see you and your commentators opening up to the possibility that one can enrich the tradition one loves by asking questions! You also do a good job, Dominique, of pointing out how the "high context" of a close-knit community can exert subtle or not so subtle pressure on its members. This can even contradict the over beliefs, such as when the concept of choice and readiness in adult baptism is compromised by social pressures to become baptized early. I'd love to read some essays on baptism from the people in this class.

    ReplyDelete