Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Paraguay Primeval

While I thoroughly enjoyed having pianist and composer Carol Ann Weaver and singer Rebecca Campbell in class last week, I will say that I sort of struggled at the actual show.

In all honesty, I found the music to be bizarre. I am guessing that I was so taken aback because I had no idea what to expect from the performance. Then when I arrived at the show and finally heard the music, it was a type of musicality that I had never before experienced.

However, there were a couple of highlights for me. Regarding the songs, I really enjoyed "Lengua Women" and "Lobsang." I found the former to be rather catchy and the latter to be incredibly moving. With Weaver announcing the names of the five Amish girls who were killed, and explaining to the audience how close to home this was, listeners could definitely sense her feelings in this piece.

1 comment:

  1. Dominique, I'd love to hear more about what you enjoyed about the guest appearances in our class, as well as what surprised you in the music. Carol Ann's songs, performed by Rebecca, are certainly musically unique. It's a combination of classical composition and jazz performance, so definitely hybrid. I'm glad that you could experience something that stretched you, musically speaking.

    ReplyDelete