Monday, December 2, 2013

Deal With It

"Somehow all the problems of the world managed to get into our town but not the strategies to deal with them."

This summer, I had the privilege of attending the Mennonite Convention in Phoenix, Arizona. I attended because I was leading a seminar called, "Conversations for bi-racial teens," and I was also played a role in Pat Lehman's play, "Heavenly Voices." The two reasons that I attended the convention concerned the topic of race in the Mennonite Church. In addition, with the convention being held in Phoenix, there was intentional conversation about the church's stance on immigration. And if that wasn't enough, the Pink Menno Movement did some good stuff as well!

After the convention, I left for home (Hesston, Kansas) with high-spirits, and hope for the future of the church.  Upon my return, the verdict of the Trayvon Martin case was emerging, and, in my opinion, it wasn't good news. Being the token minorities in our home church, my mother was asked by our Sunday School leaders to share her opinion on the case.

To make a long story short, my mother's sharing lead to two weeks of discussion and during the second week, a man who had missed the first week was incredibly vocal on the situation. However, he had a drastically different idea of the situation than that of my mother. My mother was desperate for her white Sunday schoolmates to speak out, to explain to the man how cold, unjust, and un-Christlike for pete's sake, he was being. Instead, nothing. Silence. No one said anything.

The following Sunday, I was asked to share a little about my experience at convention. I stood in front of my congregation and shared something along the lines of, "the roles that I played at convention justified the fact that minorities are a fast-growing population in the Mennonite church. We, as a church, need to work on inclusivity in a variety of forms." Normally, after a young person says something in front of the church, they're overwhelmed with thank-yous from older folks in the church. But, again, nothing. How could I  feel so rejuvenated and hopeful post-convention, while the church that I have attended since birth, could make me feel so small and unimportant?

This is only my personal story regarding the ways that I feel that my town has "all the problems of the world," and lacks any sort of strategy to deal with them. Even if we did have a strategy, I wouldn't want to just "deal" with the issue, I want them solved.

In this quote, I think that Toews could be hinting at a situation that is felt in so many Mennonite communities around the world. Or even other religious communities that have a rather passive way of communication. Too often, I feel as though we, in the Mennonite church discern too much and act too little. This seems similar to the community of Nomi Nickel.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dominique. This sounds like a painful and disillusioning experience--one that must challenge you to find a way to voice the underlying issues of racism in the church. I'm so glad you found the Arizona Mennonite Convention to be uplifitng. But you're right--taking that kind of energy back to a small town congregation that is set in its ways is a big order. I find it awkward that you and your mother were asked to be the spokespersons here for racial issues, since you are the only people of color in the congregation. It seems to have created a really painful "us" vs. "them" situation. I wonder about the silence of the congregation. Did they have no opinions? Did they not know how to speak back to this man? Seems like you've got a great situation for a short story here.

    ReplyDelete